Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Greatest Television Shows...Ever

When considering the best shows ever on TV, there are many to choose from.  BJ & the Bear, Baywatch, ALF, Joe Millionaire and the one with that robot girl all need to be in the conversation.  OK, maybe those don’t, but shows like MASH, I Love Lucy, Battle Star Galactica, Sopranos and The Simpsons might be.  However, they did not make my final list.  Here's who did.

#1.  Star Trek – The Original Series 

It is almost hard to believe that this show only lasted 3 seasons when you think of the lasting mark on pop-culture.  Between the movies, documentaries, pop culture references (beam me up Scotty), books, spin offs and the conventions, the Star Trek phenomena is worldwide.  The plot?  I don’t know something about aliens, humans and an attractive green woman.

 #2: The Walking Dead
For those of you who haven’t seen the Walking Dead, you may be saying “Really, a show about Zombies?  The best way to think about this show is that it deals with how people survive in the wake of an Earth wide catastrophe.   The Walking Dead refer not to the Zombies, but rather to the people who fight to survive.  Yes, the show is only 3 seasons in, so while it can be argued that it is too new to be considered one of the best shows ever, it has become a rare show that I consider “Must watch Live”.  Interesting note, while Walking Dead continues to break its own cable ratings records and beats out broadcast shows in the 18-49 segment, did you know that NBC turned down this show?  Nice job Peacock.

#3 Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Forget the movie with Kristy Swanson and that guy from 90210.  And forget Vampires that sparkle.  This show was just cool.  It was smart, funny, action packed, and I think there was a love story in between jamming a wooden spike into vampire hearts.

#4 Seinfeld


What is amazing to me about Seinfeld is how this show could last 9 seasons with basically no point, no continuous plot, no moral and no real romance or love interest (Man hands doesn’t count).  What other show asked the hard hitting questions like “Does the yellow sun of Earth also cause Superman to have a super sense of humor?”

#5 Mystery Science Theater 3000:


“In the not too distant future…”  Who hasn’t sat and watched a movie or TV show and just made fun of it for the bad acting or stupidity of it.  I mean, anyone who has seen Twilight knows what I am talking about.  All I can say is that I want friends like Tom Servo and Crow.

#6 Game of Thrones


Of all time?  OK, maybe that is a stretch, but it’s my list.  I just started reading the books (after watching the first 3 seasons on TV) and even after watching the show, it is pretty hard to follow.  If I read the books first, I would never have thought they could have made this into a TV show.  Too many characters.  Too many simultaneous stories.  No one is likeable.  But not only has it been done…it has been done well.  It also is the only show or movie which has provided me with a true OMG moment and honest shock since Darth Vader was revealed as Luke’s father.  I am so happy I didn’t read the book beforehand and got to experience the “Red Wedding” live.

#7 Married With Children


Cliff Huxtable. Mike Brady. Jason Seaver. Al Bundy.  Which one doesn’t fit?  Married with Children was the first show that I remember that turned the core family on its head.  A husband that doesn’t want to spend time with his wife.  A wife that can’t cook.  Kids that bribe parents for money.  This show had it all…all while doing it all in way that made everyone laugh.  Truth be told, I personally probably liked Brady Bunch better (Mom always said don’t play ball in the house), but this was different and for that, makes my list.

#8 X-Files 

The Truth is Out There.  I am not talking about the post Mulder show.  They might as well put Cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch on after Mulder left for all I cared at that point.  But the early seasons?  Must see TV.

#9 South Park


A cartoon you say?  How about a cartoon which almost real time takes every high profile news story and skewers in ways that make you embarrassed to laugh – but laugh you do. Michael Jackson and bringing kids to Neverland?  Been There.  Tom Cruise not coming out of the closet?  Done That.  Suzanne Summers and taking advantage of starving children?  Mel Gibson’s viewpoint on Judaism.  Christopher Reeve and Stem Cell Research?  Yep, yep yep. 

#10 Dr. Who 

OK, I have never watched Dr. Who…but any show that lasts over 26 seasons should make the list.  Wait, then I guess General Hospital or Days of Our Lives should be on it…Ok on second thought, make this one Saved by the Bell.


No comments:

Post a Comment